New Wave songs that glamourise crime
1. Jazz thieves - Depeche Mode (instrumental) (theft)
2. Love thieves - Depeche Mode "they're crooked love thieves/ and you are their jailor" (theft)
3. Stormy Weather - Echo & The Bunnymen "There's nothing chained down/ You need it?/ I'll steal it" (theft)
4. Under Arrest - Blondie "Meet me in an hour. I'll be on the corner. I'll have on a trenchcoat, naturally" (impersonating a police officer)
5. Foul Play - Rachel Sweet "I spoke to the detectives and they told me they suspected it was foul play, you murdered our loooove" (murder)
6. You're my Drug - XTC "You bang with your gavel/ And here I stand guilty/ In a court where you are the judge" (illegal possession)
7. Crimes of Paris - Elvis Costello "She hit him with that paper-weight Eiffel Tower/ And I tried to hold on to you but I don't know how" (murder, possible manslaughter)
8. Hit me with your rhythm stick - Ian Dury "Hit me with your rhythm stick. Hit me slowly, hit me quick. Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!" (GBH)
9. Nuclear Device - The Stranglers "And I've got it all planned/ For my first nuclear device" (terrorism and race hate crimes)
10. Annie Get Your Gun - Squeeze "Bells ring, look what you have done/ Emotions leaking out/ Her paint's all over town" (murder)
11. Susie and Jeffrey - Blondie "They had a little argument/ Sue took her foot off the brake/ He drove the car into a wall." (murder/manslaughter)
12. The Honeymoon Killers - Magazine "I saw an advert for ice cream/Seems it was eaten in the garden of eden...And I got that certain feeling of freedom/ Then we listened closely to some mantovani/ And waited for the cops to come" (the crime itself is unclear. Theft, possibly of ice cream.)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home