Science Fiction Fans
I've been thinking about this a lot recently and I've got to get some of it off my chest.
I don't dislike them as people, I dislike what they do to culture, and I really dislike their inauthenticity. Some of them anyway. Some sci-fi fans don't know what they like. Science-fiction, a bit like art-history, is a label given to a class of imagery. I often describe art history as a "made up" subject because it's so open-ended- it includes the future as much as the past- and crawls other disciplines for the word "art" without having any procedure in place to deal with the word when it finds it.
The sci-fi class comes with a collection of imagery/concepts in the box, and trawls culture for things that seem to vaguely match up. Once they match, they are appropriated, and science fiction, like the aliens in Invasion of the Body Snatchers, assembles a massive collection of disparate forms with its imprint, its label, on.
I'm not saying nothing was ever made specifically for science fiction fans. Just that the things sci-fi fans think they like about their favourite TV shows aren't the things they really like. They're drawn to anything by the label sci-fi, and when they run out of things that are obviously intended for them, they move onto things that never were. The differences between Dr Who and Red Dwarf was almost absolute...but because they both featured alien imagery (or whatever) they both had an appeal to the the same fan-set. The hook, surely, must then have (initially at least) been the word "alien" or the space ships, or whatever. Star Trek, on the other hand, is superficially entirely imagery, but people stay with it for the opera part of the space opera. People, ultimately, like stories more than they like bazookoids.
So why don't sci-fi fans like regular drama? Well, they need to be in a 'l33t club, to feel they're not like everyone else, when everyone else seems to like good drama set on earth with no aliens. When things like Star Trek reward obsessiveness with consistency they can share the delight that someone is responding to them, but most of all they can revel in the illusion that what they are enjoying is spotting continuity errors and performing some kind of perpetual continuity maintenance for the greater good of Science Fiction. When they run out of things created for them (or by them) they start appropriating from other genres, seeing the "sci fi" in things that were never primarily about sci-fi imagery, and effectively ostracising these things from the mainstream. The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy was never meant for fan-dissection, it was meant to be fun and funny and wry and satirical. Its sci-fi elements were always principally satirical. I don't understand why it should have any appeal at all to people who like, say, Babylon 5.
Yikes. I really have to go to work. I'm not done with you yet though!
Continued
> On 5/25/05, Alistair Johnston wrote:
> > I think what you're describing happens a lot. "I
> > like things with the label x. This has been labeled x therefore I will
> > like it." Is there more to science fiction than space/the future?
> > Could science fiction be about thought experiments? What would it be
> > like if... Would that be a useful definition? Better than Star Wars,
> > which is just a Western with robots.
> >
I want to nip these debates in the bud. It doesn't matter what sci-fi is about, it jsut seems to be about almost whatever it decides it is about. It is a vehicle to allow people who want to be percieved as having eccentric tastes to access things that are universally appealling. Star Wars is sci-fi because someone once said it was.
I believe sci-fi is different to other genres in this respect, and appeals to a different kind of person. A comedy fan wouldn't indiscriminately assume an interest in everything which had an element of humour in, e.g. All Creatures Great and Small, or the X Files, or label it a "comedy", but a sci fi fan is so desperate to have their natural human needs sated through surprising means they'll force their label on anything with a hint of time travel /aliens/ weirdness. Sci-fi fans think they like Dr Who because they're collecting associations with (first) sci fi, and (second) Dr Who as a sub-label. Just as Billie Piper fans preoccupied with an imaginary fantasy image of Billie Piper might like Dr Who because they're collecting Billie Pipers, and their interest in the show is no less valid than the "hardcore" science fiction fans for that.
Most of these things don't belong to sci-fi, they are hijacked by the labelling force that calls itself sci-fi. I don't want to argue about what programmes could "really" be called sci-fi, that's exactly the kind of sentiment I object to. Nothing should "really" be called "science fiction," it's the most unhelpful term in the world, and all it does is alienate books, films, media of every kind, from the public domain. The science fiction label turns most people off so it can go on virally replicating itself among a minority who want to believe they are minorities, special, or chosen, for whatever crazy reason. It's the crazy reasons I think we should be addressing.


9 Comments:
i always say "too much fiction, not enough science". not always but when i think of it and when it's appropriate.
OK, I disagree to the extent that I think SOME sci-fi fans want to find secret markers of sci-fi in everything that isn't primarily about the details of aliens/time travel/spaceships/other worlds. They want to find evidence of sci-fi in things so that they can *expand* their own viewership horizon while reducing the popular appeal of the show. By labelling it, they are actually taking away from the popular to feed the elite.
The "nerd" image is itself a construct, an iconography and kind of symbolic uniform created *by* the fans to propagate an impression of superior intelligence and a perception of victimised marginalisation. They work hard at being seen as being cleverer and more disliked than everyone else by making a big deal about how much they can remember and care about the cold technical details.
OK, but I believe that people aren't turned off by the robots/space per se, but by what they associate with them (nerdy obsessiveness, a very low bar of entry quality meaning that a lot of sci fi is terrible, an imaginative challenge).
I think it's pretty distasteful that sci-fi fans insist on being "autistic" and having "poor social skills". These are serious complaints which simply don't apply to very many people at all. They perpetuate this image themselves so they can look special and unusual.
I suppose sci-fi fans aren't the only people responsible for the marginalisation of sci-fi, people who buy the whole "autist" act are probably just as much to blame. I think sci-fi fans are pretending at anti-social in order to create a hyper-social elite group.
I like your Quantum Leap example, particularly in relation to what we were saying about QL yesterday- ie how there's essentially no compelling connection between QL and Star Trek, but someone who likes one will probably gravitate towards the other. I enjoyed QL as an imaginative, earnest, american tea time kid's show. What are sci-fi fans getting out of QL?
I think we decided that everyone needs the same basic things from life (and telly) and sci fi fans get their drama, their comedy, their romance, etc, through the filter of sci-fi. Just like costume drama people get it through costume drama. I guess I feel like costume drama fans are more likely to watch Quantum Leap than the other way round. I don't understand why they can only enjoy things through this filter, unless it's part of some kind of identification with a group of other "fans" or to affect the impression of a certain kind of personality. Or both.
This is great! Is this what it’s like in your flat? :)
I kinda feel like the phenomenon is more widespread than simply Sci Fi. Although as you say, a costume drama-fan may be more likely to watch Quantum Leap than the other way round. Probably. I share your distaste for some sci-fi fans’ insistence on claiming “poor social skills” or “not being a people person”. It’s laziness and fear married to a sense of superiority – they are above chit chat, they talk about important things with like-minded people: Buffy the Vampire slayer and Doctor Who, mainly. I say “talk”, “type” may be more accurate. People skills a plenty on message boards.
And another thing: sci-fiers seem to have a persecution complex, thinking that "normals" hate them as nerdlingers - so they reclaim the pejorative and wear it proudly. But mostly regular people are a bit scared and think (possibly rightly) that said nerdlingers are looking down on them and think them trivial.
I'm particularly annoyed by the way that Sci-fi fans seem to affect likings for things indiscrimately, because they believe them to fit the image they have constructed for themselves. Sure this is true of indie fans, punks, housewives, businessmen, the Irish, etc, but sci-fi fans are exceptionally offensive because they implictly deny they're part of a powerful, mainstream, constructed social group. They seem to think that because they get so much out of one or two sci-fi shows they should also enjoy...other nerdy shows, interests and pursuits, and thus must be hyper-intelligent and uber-autistic.
Whereas indie fans, goths, punks, etc are equally affected, mistaken, and wrong, for their imagined fanaticism, at least they are overt, and often candid, about their affectations and aware of the irony of their hipsterness. I find the smug affectation of the Oh-so-nerdy sci-fi fan utterly unbearable.
Good design!
[url=http://rrkbfbem.com/htza/rgmr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wtgbnlyi.com/ornp/itpw.html]Cool site[/url]
Great work!
My homepage | Please visit
Well done!
http://rrkbfbem.com/htza/rgmr.html | http://hvwtfjmf.com/uery/elvb.html
Post a Comment
<< Home