Saturday, April 23, 2005

OTW TNG II

iBlog

Just because I've finished all my (paid) freelance work for the time being doesn't mean I have to take an interest in other people or write about anything other than myself or return to the old style OTW. You don't own me. But maybe a sense of duty and lack of any new ideas will yet see me working out some way of combining old style OTW with the new one for a meta-retro trip down memory lane, like that DS9 episode with the Tribbles.


Work: I'm in charge of the Intranet at work now. They think I'm using Frontpage but I'm doing it all longhand in html. In the words of Jim from the US version of The Office, "That is the smallest amount of power I have ever seen go to anyone's head".


Film: Hitchhikers film out at the end of the week, of course. Tom and I are, mysteriously, going tomorrow for a preview, of course. Oh and also WE ARE IN IT. Or our voices are, at least. It's all they could afford.


TV: Currently hearting: House; Eyes; Numb3rs; The Office (US version- far superior)


I still go climbing twice a week but in a sudden and slightly unconvincing wave of enthusiasm have just started going swimming before work too. You may know about my thing for lidos, so imagine my delight when I heard about the Jesus Green open air pool. And my subsequent disappointment when I heard it doesn't open till mid May. If anyone has any intelligence on the pool, please let me know.





Feedback

1) Do you prefer iBlogs like this or the OTWs I used to do? Or both the same?
2) More soundclips?
3) More photos?
4) What day(s) do you normally look at the page?
5) What do you hope to find?
6) Any other business?

14 Comments:

Blogger Alistair Johnston said...

1) I can't remember. What is OTW? Is that the texts and that? I like the personal ''logging the best, but a combination is nice.

2) Yes.

3) Yes. Needn't be one thing or the other, right?

4) Most days.

5) News from my favouritest sister; funnies.

6)

(i)Saw House for the first time yesterday - it seems like two thirds of the way to a great show: i.e. the Hugh Laurie bits which aren't sentimental to make him more "human".

(ii) The US version of the Office is a good? I saw the pilot. The next day I thought it may have been a dream, "there was a guy like Tim, but not Tim." It was fuzzy though. And I may have been pissed.

(iii) Keep up the good work!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Alistair Johnston said...

Don't know much about Jesus Green swimming pool other than gays take the eponymous Lord's name in vain by cruising there.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Maus said...

hhahahaha

Fang q.

The US version of the Office is great! Much much better than the over-rated British version. (Still slightly concerned that the figures I identify with most in popular culture are David Brent, Alan Partridge and Richard Madeley.)


House is even better. I really think it might be one of my favourite programs of all time.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

House is really, really good. It does take a couple of episodes for the characterisations to take root but it soon blossoms into a solid, smart, funny, reliably entertaining show. Hugh Laurie is great, even when he's emoting (which I think is well-judged and restrained when it does happen). My Current Favourite.

The US version of The Office doesn't really do it for me. It seems fairly weak, at least in [unfair? illogical?] comparison to the peerless original; the awkwardness isn't there and it's too jokey to ever be accidentally mistaken for a genuine documentary. As far as contemporary American comedy goes, though, it's decent enough, and I did laugh at some funnies in the most recent episode. I'm pretty sure that it'll sink, since its particular ecological niche is already filled by the superior Curb Your Enthusiasm. But I'm probably wrong!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and did I mention The American Office's theme tune? Christ on the fucking cross.

Massive Attack, though: class.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Maus said...

That's it though- I know it's not as "clever" or documentary-like or whatever but the thing I like about the American Office is that it's *actually funny*. The British one is billed as "hilarious" when I ask people to explain what's good about it no one ever seems to say "it's funny". I like the idea of Dunder Miffin. The idea of Americans being driven mental by the non-shiny, repetitive, and mundane is much more interesting to me than a program about British office workers, because it's so refreshing and different- the maddening daily grind that America seems to try very hard to hide.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Do you prefer iBlogs like this or the OTWs I used to do? Or both the same?
Both

2) More soundclips?
Yes

3) More photos?

No. Photos make it more real. I don't like it real.It's the internet and it's pretend.

4) What day(s) do you normally look at the page?
Every day.

5) What do you hope to find?
My own funnies. Nothing else.

6) Any other business?

You're a winner.As a banner just told me. Do you like swordfish?

Peter

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. When I think of Ricky Gervais as David Brent, the word "clever" floats into my mind; when I think of Michael Scott, it's the word "zany".

It's funny how that Tim-alike has got the same haircut as Martin Freeman.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Maus said...

ah thanks Laura.

I do really go climbing, I love it!
Anyone can climb buildings when they put their mind to it. One day I will be an assassin like Jason Bourne.

In fact, maybe I can use my climbing skillz to get into this secret pool you mention. I liked the Gospel Oak lido when I lived in London, even though my new CD walkman got nicked. :(

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you can break into the Jesus Green pool - well, you certainly used to be able to, maybe they've got a stronger fence now. You do have to run a gauntlet of men in tight t-shirts, though.

I think Julie Burchill says she identifies with David Brent and Alan Partridge, too, BTW.

-- Tim

10:51 AM  
Blogger Herge Smith said...

Eyes is a tad slick slick slick, although not so bad... have you tried greys anatomy?... not so bad

Still the best show on US TV has to be The Shield - now with Glenn Close. Great stuff.

So what voice are you in HHGTHG?

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://cqlhjfps.com/mevj/prda.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://dlkqcdxg.com/mlqi/vvjq.html]Cool site[/url]

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://cqlhjfps.com/mevj/prda.html | http://pmlthmld.com/itoz/byyd.html

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home