But this is supposed to be a competition. Not a gamble.
If I'm not only competing against other posters but also against the vagaries of fate then I want to know the prize before I embark on an epic mental struggle of whether to tell the truth or not.
But this is supposed to be a competition. Not a gamble.
If I'm not only competing against other posters but also against the vagaries of fate then I want to know the prize before I embark on an epic mental struggle of whether to tell the truth or not.
Fair enough, but I'm not ordering you to gamble, just suggesting that, as with any blog-based-competition, my own judgement about contestants may or may not play a part.
Let's not get too meta. I'm still the owner of this blog and I can delete you in the blink of an eye if I stop finding you amusing and intriguing. Dance for me, monkey!
I was afraid you'd never ask. My question was actually asked in earnest - I'm very curious about how people spend their days.
At the moment I'm doing bits of freelance writing and research so I don't have to get up very early or have much of a routine. I've just finished a giant piece of writing on Art and Ecology, and I'm about to start a small one on the impact of conceptual art. Literally. I have the book in front of me now. I spend a lot of time in cafes. Sometimes I go to the Microsoft computer lab to work. This morning Tom and I went to Indigo for a coffee with Bill Thompson. Sometimes I talk to my friends, and people who used to be on TV on instant messenger. In the evenings we mainly watch the X Files, something which has turned into an anal documentation project as I try to record the episodes I haven't seen yet to speed up the process of choosing the next one. Of course, it is a false economy. I sometimes read blogs but mostly they just make me angry. Sometimes I lie in the sun reading books I've got out of the library and eating flapjacks but not for long because I can't stand the heat. I spend all day hoping people will enter my stupid internet competitions so I won't have to award the prize to myself.
I spend my days messing up over-adventurous DIY attempts, visiting sea side towns, wasting time on the internet, arguing and half-planning my future. I spend some days entering internet competitions in blogs, not necessarily to win, but to find out what the prize might be. Tim W.
I am basically a freelance writer, yeah, and I get commissioned for magazine work sometimes, but the work I'm doing at the moment is for an agency that farms out specific research projects to people who got 1sts for their undergrad degrees. There are very tight deadlines (1 to 10 days for most pieces of work) and I get paid very well indeed, especially considering how few hours I need to put into it these days. It's no secret really, but I spent long enough being poor and getting experience doing stuff for free for magazines (+ internships, etc) You could be in the same situation when you've finished your degree if you're prepared to put together a clipbook and schmooze the right media/academia people.
I don't know how I got a First really, I still wonder whether it was some kind of mistake, (with my A levels I shouldn't even have got into University). Your course structure sounds very unfair :(
And I know what you mean about writing. Writing for money means producing all kinds of nonsense about all kinds of things you don't care about, but writing is pretty much my only skill so I've stopped trying to fight it and sold out to the Man. Or the Men. And the Women.
ha, but that's what blogs are for! It's just what i had in mind - splendid - thanks. I got the present for the lucky winner today. I have a photo of it to post online soon.
36 Comments:
Leave short comments on blogs. Tim W
You're winning so far.
Hurrah - what would I win?
I'll reveal all when/if the other entries have been judged.
I keep the internet company
is this a thomas i know? it could affect your chances of winning the competition.
So do I have more chance if I'm just a random webmong?
Or, sycophantically, more chance if you know me?
I can't tell you. That's the gamble.
But this is supposed to be a competition. Not a gamble.
If I'm not only competing against other posters but also against the vagaries of fate then I want to know the prize before I embark on an epic mental struggle of whether to tell the truth or not.
But this is supposed to be a competition. Not a gamble.
If I'm not only competing against other posters but also against the vagaries of fate then I want to know the prize before I embark on an epic mental struggle of whether to tell the truth or not.
Fair enough, but I'm not ordering you to gamble, just suggesting that, as with any blog-based-competition, my own judgement about contestants may or may not play a part.
Any more antagonism and I'll disqualify you.
You see, this is actually what I do all day...
With each of your posts I rule out and in Thomases I know.
A ha! Now the competitor is the competition setter.
How the tables have turned Leila.
Let's not get too meta. I'm still the owner of this blog and I can delete you in the blink of an eye if I stop finding you amusing and intriguing. Dance for me, monkey!
How Mausterful
you love it.
I watch people I've never met arguing, apparently...
to paraphrase patrick bateman...
c'mon James, you're better than that.
sometimes i type rude words into the flickr tag search.
seeya,
josh
good one - me too! I love flickr.
On Monday, I tried only breathing in.
So what do you actually do all day? Tim W
I was afraid you'd never ask. My question was actually asked in earnest - I'm very curious about how people spend their days.
At the moment I'm doing bits of freelance writing and research so I don't have to get up very early or have much of a routine. I've just finished a giant piece of writing on Art and Ecology, and I'm about to start a small one on the impact of conceptual art. Literally. I have the book in front of me now. I spend a lot of time in cafes. Sometimes I go to the Microsoft computer lab to work. This morning Tom and I went to Indigo for a coffee with Bill Thompson. Sometimes I talk to my friends, and people who used to be on TV on instant messenger. In the evenings we mainly watch the X Files, something which has turned into an anal documentation project as I try to record the episodes I haven't seen yet to speed up the process of choosing the next one. Of course, it is a false economy. I sometimes read blogs but mostly they just make me angry. Sometimes I lie in the sun reading books I've got out of the library and eating flapjacks but not for long because I can't stand the heat. I spend all day hoping people will enter my stupid internet competitions so I won't have to award the prize to myself.
I spend my days messing up over-adventurous DIY attempts, visiting sea side towns, wasting time on the internet, arguing and half-planning my future. I spend some days entering internet competitions in blogs, not necessarily to win, but to find out what the prize might be. Tim W.
Do you make your own flapjacks? If so how? I could do with some now. Tim W
I have done in the past, but I don't usually, no. You have just given me an idea for a prize...
(love how you sneaked "arguing" into that list btw)
I check my sister's blog, hoping I can think of something funny or interesting enough to leave as a comment.
thanks alistair, you get another go too.
Competition lines close on Monday. The prize will be shipped to the winner late next week.
harsh. and you have to live in London... j/k ;-)
I am lucky, yes. The work's a bit erratic but I've just had 3 good commissions in a row so not much to complain about at the moment.
I am basically a freelance writer, yeah, and I get commissioned for magazine work sometimes, but the work I'm doing at the moment is for an agency that farms out specific research projects to people who got 1sts for their undergrad degrees. There are very tight deadlines (1 to 10 days for most pieces of work) and I get paid very well indeed, especially considering how few hours I need to put into it these days. It's no secret really, but I spent long enough being poor and getting experience doing stuff for free for magazines (+ internships, etc) You could be in the same situation when you've finished your degree if you're prepared to put together a clipbook and schmooze the right media/academia people.
we don't get much information on the clients so can only speculate.
You can't *mathematically* get a 1st - or just don't think you will?
I don't know how I got a First really, I still wonder whether it was some kind of mistake, (with my A levels I shouldn't even have got into University). Your course structure sounds very unfair :(
And I know what you mean about writing. Writing for money means producing all kinds of nonsense about all kinds of things you don't care about, but writing is pretty much my only skill so I've stopped trying to fight it and sold out to the Man. Or the Men. And the Women.
And no, it's not for cheating. That is wrong. Enough about me...now, are you going to enter my competition Laura?
ha, but that's what blogs are for! It's just what i had in mind - splendid - thanks. I got the present for the lucky winner today. I have a photo of it to post online soon.
Read really old entries?
Post a Comment
<< Home