ten more things
top ten low art references to high(er) art AND THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW IT*
1. How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Poker scene clearly references Cassavetes' "A Woman Under The Influence".
2. Pram going down stairs in Naked Gun/ Battleship Potemkin
3. Red Dwarf "White Hole"/ Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I'm thinking in particular of the talkie toaster thread, but the Frankenstein story comes up again and again through the first five seasons of RD. If you doubt me, see if you can guess from which of the two this quote hails. No looking it up now! "the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open" See? They are the same.
4. Elf/ Ulysses - Elf is a story about a man's raw, scatalogical journey, full of puns and humour, through a harsh and strange world of ultimately unsymbolic symbolism to discover his true (s)elf.
5. Happy Feet/ 1984 The eventual conversion of all the penguins to the ways of one is chilling.
6. Stormbreaker/ Hamlet
7. Ghostbusters/ Dante's Inferno - 9th circle of hell. The circle is patrolled by giants (Marshmallow monster) and sometimes a soul falls here before its time and has its body on Earth immediately possessed by a fiend (the Sigourney Weaver character)
7. Inner Space/ Journey to the Centre of the Earth
8. Woof!/ Kafka's Metamorphosis
9. I've long thought that someone on Emmerdale's lighting team had an interest in 16th Century Italian Art. I haven't spotted the Caravaggian chiaroscuro effect in any other soap operas. Their latest "tableau" style ads suggest someone else has noticed, too.
10. Cats and Dogs/ The 39 Steps
top ten reality tv punks
1. John Lydon in I'm A Celebrity...
2. Donny Tourettes in Celebrity Big Brother
3. That One From The Dead Pets in Faking It
4. Kelly Osbourne in The Osbournes
5. Pete Burns in Celebrity Big Brother (he used to be a bit goth, does that count?)
6. Lizzie Bardsley from Wife Swap (punk is about hair)
7. Abi, How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria (punk is about attitude)
8. Rami from Project Catwalk (punk is about laziness)
9. Keri, Make Me A Supermodel (punk is annoying)
10. Sada from Big Brother 1
Next time:
top ten nemesises (for Lucy) (who is not my nemesis)
* You'll see I had a couple of good ideas then just padded out the rest with rubbish. Well, I don't have all day you know.


7 Comments:
Sada wasn't at all punk. Unless punk is about sloaney. Nichola, surely?
http://tinyurl.com/2d7gy9
Yeah you're right. I couldn't remember which was which
I can't wait!
Also, about six or seven years ago there was an episode of Neighbours in which two women were having a fight (I forget their names but one of them was blonde and old and posh). The younger one of them said:
"Well I call a spade a spade"
and the older one replied,
"I'm glad to say I've never seen a spade!"
Direct quote from 'The Importance of Being Earnest.' But with Australian accents. At Lassiters.
I love that shit.
The pram going down the steps is originally from The Untouchables, not The Naked Gun. You should watch it, it's not as gangstery as you might think.
That's a shame, I like gangster films
Zing!
Post a Comment
<< Home