Why Not Try
There's a misconception going round on the web that this page is a tribute to Lee and Herring. I didn't really mind because they were quite funny and everything, but it's started to cause problems so I just wanted to say, well, it isn't a tribute to them, not really.
Yes, they did a similar thing 12 years ago, and yes, I know Richard Herring a bit. But when I started doing the site myself 3 years ago the L&H connection honestly hadn't even occurred to me. Not consciously anyway. In fact, someone had to point it out, and then I was a bit embarrassed. There's no mention of L&H on the page, I have no investment in them, and none of the content is theirs. In fact, all that remains of the original idea is the title. If people are contributing because they think the site is something to with L&H then, well, that's a shame. I'd almost rather they didn't send stuff in at all. I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just that I never meant the page to be publicised very much; it was somewhere my close friends and acquaintances could go to be amused, and the emphasis has always been on quality over quantity. Now it's started to spread across the web, I'm getting generally poor and often illegible suggestions sent through every couple of hours. If a percentage of those people think they're keeping the L&H flame alive in some way, well, I feel dishonest.
But I think the main reason it's getting such a good response is because it's a good website. Tom did a great job with the design and construction, and all the contributers have been incredibly funny and generous with their ideas. As I say - L&H have nothing to do with any of it, and while we remember them fondly, we're doing something new here. So, if it's a tribute to anyone, it's to my brilliantly talented and funny friends who don't need me to gush about them now. I thank L&H for subconsciously planting the idea in my head, but I'm pretty sure they didn't invent the concept of surreal suggestions. The site's backbone is not obsolete 90s comedy, but creative, funny, thinkers. OK, just wanted to clear that up.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home