reasons I'm not on facebook
1. I've been on the internet a long time. Any people from my past that I wanted to find again, I already have.
2. I'm already on myspace, flickr, friendster, livejournal, blogger, twitter, friendsreunited, ringo, bebo and have had - in my life - at least 5 more 'blogs' in various other places (angelfire, trioptimum, sparkpod, th1rd, geocities). Most of which google remembers. Then there's All The Rage, and Worry Friends. Not to mention my online CV websites. No wonder I get so much spam.
I really, really don't need to make any more marks on the internet.
3. See above: it's really not difficult for curious former schoolmates/workmates to find me online.
4. I'm getting a bit old and a bit busy for social networking, although I'm sure it's plenty fun when you've got time on your hands and want to look up names you remember from primary school or whatever.
But there it is. Sorry. So don't bother adding me or trying to friend me up or asking me about facebook.


1 Comments:
this facebook explosion phenomena is quite interesting. i joined up about 4 months ago because two female friends asked me to (and i was really attracted to one of them). so i did.
since then i have only invited one other person to be my "friend" on facebok (and only because his sister wanted me to link up with him to provide html guidance for his maya artwork). So far i have 25 "friends" on the network - 24 of which have explicitly asked me to befriend them. i know each person, so as a glorified addressbook, facebook is pretty sharp.
however.... as a social network, it is completely and utterly uninteresting. no-one really talks to each other (above the odd scrap of smalltalk or rendezvous instruction). most people only upload photos of themselves posing as their expecting to be pictured in the next Heat magazine (guilty as charged on my profile picture but not on the others)
perhaps the most intriguing of all are the groups. anyone can create a group, and as a result i am bombarded with invites to join various groups which are nothing more than meme-sounding names with no substance to back them up: Bring back the old Hollyoaks credits! ▪ The Kevin Eldon Appreciation Society ▪ Ian's Burgeoning film career ▪ High Fiving Random people and celebrities... etc. I joined the OBEY/Andre The Giant network (which has nearly 100 members) and started uploading photos of my sightings of the brand around london and eagerly added comments, only to find that no-one really gave a shit. So much for enthusiasts.
Facebook itself is a really good idea - it has an interesting take on hyperlinks and tags and creates a level playing field in terms of UI. But i think that far too many people have missed the point of its usefulness and once again i've consigned it to my bookmarks for websites that stuffed to the balls with nothing but self-indulgence and egocentric babble.
unlike my website. of course.
Post a Comment
<< Home