wildlife update
I should do springwatch. Or at least go outside more often.
Today on the way to handing in my spurious dissertation I cycled past one of these:

That, believe it or not, is the best photo on the internet of the green woodpecker. Naturally I didn't get my camera out in time to get a picture of it. It was in flight!
Yesterday I saw a black squirrel:

Adorable isn't it? Of course, didn't get to the camera in time then either. You'll notice I did actually have my camera with me! And I even climbed into a compost box to try to snap the squirrel. But black squirrels have a whole new camouflage thing going on. It's surely the future. I was also a bit scared of the possibility it might suddenly stop still, flatten its ears against its little head and shoot lazers from its eyes while issuing from its toothy mouth the heartshattering scream of my impending doom, like the Black Rabbit of Inlay cards in Watership Down.
Oh and, god I almost forgot. This week I also saw Stephen Hawking in the street, and was hailed by Mr Savoury, a hitherto anonymous flickr contact who recognised me from my photos on Flickr. Goes without saying that, despite cameras being present each time, neither event was backed up with photographic evidence.


12 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I can't believe you managed to spot a woodpecker! We saw one in prague but I've yet to catch one in... Brixton.
I've never seen one in my life before today. They are apparently quite common though.
Pretty sure Germaine Greer doesn't live in Cambridge, and hasn't since she was a student here at Newnham. She's famous for her lectureship at Warwick but she's recently retired so I guess she might have moved.
There is an enduring rumour about people seeing her in the U.L but I'm not sure I believe it. Most old ladies in the U.L look like Germaine.
I've heard the UL rumour too! There was a really mysterious controversy around germaine a few years ago. She taught at... New Hall? One of the all-women colleges anyway, and they let a pre-op transexual in. Germaine hit the roof, saying that this abomination was an insult to women everywhere and she slung her hook.
I love Germaine Greer.
heh I heard the same rumour from someone at New Hall (same person who told me the UL thing) but I think it was Newnham where she taught a course at some point.
A transexual has no place in a women's college. Greer is right, as usual.
They so are. They're not a catchall for anyone who rejects their male parts. A transexual in a girls college is using feminine gender as a default for "not male".
A 'trans' is not and never will be a woman. If anything, they are a third way and should go and establish their own college if they want to play with the grown ups.
I thought at first that it was a bit harsh on Padman, but it's not like she couldn't go to any of the other mixed colleges and live as a woman. Trying to force your way into an all-woman college? The lady doth protest too much.
But I don't think that she is constructing her female identity from a lack of male "parts" - I've never really bought that argument. Or at least, it's the same as women taking some hormones, stopping shaving and sticking a pump-up tube to them - eh voila! A man!
Women seem more bothered by male-to-female sex changes than men are by female-to-male. I think it's women not wanting the extra competition.
There is something in the case for female being viewed as the non-gender gender; I'm not yet sure how much I believe it either, but it is convincing in some ways. Greer argues for it a lot and Paglia's good on it too if I remember her rightly.
There are far fewer women to men trans and I think they are just as bad, if for different reasons.
Competition, hahaha!
Competition, yes.
Earlier should have said, "the ladyboy doth protest too much". Oh well.
We have a family of woodpeckers living somewhere around our garden. We see the adults pretty much every day. They're not the green sort though.
a month and a half ago. The bra cups is not as loose now, feels great. To me, my breasts feels much rounder, and larger.
Post a Comment
<< Home